Hello everyone and happy Tuesday!
Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
I’ve seen a few people participate in Top Ten Tuesdays and I decided that it would be something different to try. The idea behind it is every Tuesday there’s a theme, and you list ten books that fit into the theme!
This week’s theme is backlist books I want to read! I’ve decided to interpret this theme as books that I bought because I was looking forward to reading them but never got around to reading. Most of these books have been sitting on my shelf unread for at least a year, but some of them have been sitting for far longer.
1) Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige: This series was highly recommended to me by my best friend, and I picked up all four books, but I just haven’t gotten around to them yet.
2) A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab: This trilogy was highly recommended to me by my other best friend. I started reading it a few months ago, but I wasn’t feeling fantasy at the time, so it’s still sitting unread on my shelf.
3) Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty: I picked up this book after Big Little Lies won all the Emmys a couple of years ago. I was looking forward to it because I was curious about all of the hype, but I haven’t picked it up yet.
4) Heartless by Marissa Meyer: I picked up this book shortly after it was released because I was in love with the inlay underneath the dust jacket and because I thought it would be fun to read an Alice in Wonderland retelling.
5) Heart of Iron by Ashley Poston: I picked up this book because I loved Geekerella, I really don’t know why I haven’t read it yet, but maybe I’ll read it sometime soon.
6) Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman: I like to consider myself a Neil Gaiman fan because I’ve loved everything I’ve read by him, but I somehow haven’t gotten around to reading Neverwhere yet.
7) Mosquitoland by David Arnold: I don’t remember how I stumbled upon this book, but I remember being really excited to read it. Like all of the other entries on this list, something happened and I never got around to reading it.
8) All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews: I bought this book because it was nominated for a lot of awards and because I had a crush on a boy who had mentioned this author at one point in my very few conversations with him. Then I graduated University, moved back home, and never spoke with said boy again; the book ended up sitting on my shelf with all of the other highly acclaimed Canadian books that I swear I will get to one day.
9) The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer: This is another book that I picked up in University and never ended up reading. If I remember correctly, one of my roommates said some good things about this book and I was drawn to the colourful cover, so I added it to my collection with the intention of reading it when I found some downtime.
10) The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas: WHY HAVEN’T I READ THIS BOOK YET?! I’ve heard nothing, but good things about this book and I don’t know why I haven’t read it yet.
What this list has told me is that I need to take a week, or maybe a month, off work so I can tackle all of the amazing titles that have been sitting unread on my shelves for far too long. Sadly I don’t think my boss would be too impressed if I did that.
Have you read any of the books on this list? Are there any that you think I should move to the top of my TBR? Let me know in the comments!